Translate

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Crochet Time!





I never thought in my wildest dreams that I would ever have a blog about Crocheting! But, here I am!

I started crocheting in 2012 when I was expecting my second child. It has been a fun, relaxing, and rewarding experience. I was on intensive bed rest and it was getting increasingly tiring to knit while remaining in a lying-down position. I decided to take a leap of faith and with the one crochet hook that I had obtained from a Yarn kit, I started watching YouTube videos and learning how to create items. I still remember my first project - it was a short swatch of Single Crochet and it looked just AWFUL. The stitches were uneven, the edges somehow did not line up and I was on the verge of giving up. I had never learned how to knit in the round, and making a seamless hat was my goal. Thus, started my obsession with crochet - the only way I could see to make an easy hat!

I thought it was time to start a blog on crocheting and try to incorporate multiple videos and patterns that have tremendously helped me to learn how to crochet. A big THANK YOU to all the crocheters and companies out there that provide free videos and free patterns online and encourage people such as me to learn a new art with minimal cost and maximum satisfaction!

In order to get more comfortable with the stitches, I also created a sock-monkey blanket for my older child. And once I got the hang of it, I proceeded to make more than 50 different types of basic beanies using different types of yarn in rapid succession for children and adults.

Pinterest has proved to be a blessing in finding new patterns, new yarns, and new ideas; and more importantly in connecting with friends who share similar interests. You can find  me on Pinterest HERE.

I also have been posting some of my own FREE patterns on Ravelry in the past few months. I do not like patterns that require either too much time commitment or too many different types of yarns. I prefer one-skein projects that work up easily and give instant gratification when completed. While I like to create different items, I mostly like to gift them to friends/family so creating things with specific time constraints are a priority. My Ravelry store showing my own patterns and projects that I have created is accessible HERE.

I have recently started teaching some crochet classes at my Local Yarn Store Apple Valley Yarn Company as well. So, if you live around Midland/Saginaw/Bay City areas of Michigan, feel free to stop by at this amazing yarn store and sign up for classes if you would like to learn a variety of knitting or crochet techniques that the store offers.

No comments:

Post a Comment